As any human, I’ve always been obsessed with cinnamon rolls. They have, the past four years, been the ultimate comfort sugar snack in our house and Dines has always pushed me to try and make the a bit extra than the everyday cinnamon rolls.
Back in April, I got a craving for cinnamon rolls but I wanted a bit more in them apart from their sugar and cinnamon, so I started experimenting with different things. Almonds, milk chocolate, the list goes on. But I’m a sucker for dark chocolate, real bad and liquorice but I don’t think cinnamon rolls with liquorice would be any good. I love experimenting with normal recipes and making them my own, making them a bit more personal, maybe I’m a foodie?
Adult Cinnamon Rolls
- 50 g yeast
- 500ml 40* water
- 500ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 8 cups + a bit of flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cardamom
- 2 eggs
- Cinnamon filling:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp.
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup cinnamon or more if you're like me.
- Step 1 1. Heat water to 40 degrees and in a saucepan heat milk and butter, let it cool down until needed
- Step 2 2. Into a bowl, crumble the yeast and add the 40 degrees water. With a fork, mix it together until combined.
- Step 3 3. While beating on low, add the sugar, cardamom, and two eggs.
- Step 4 4. Once thats combined, pour in the milk and butter mixture along side one cup of flour at a time. Once its all combined, take out the dough and need it. Once kneaded, put it back into the bowl and set aside for an hour and a half.
- Step 5 5. While the dough is rising, make the cinnamon filling and put baking sheets into skillet. Remember to turn on the oven to 185 degrees
- Step 6 6. Add the room temp butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Chop the chocolate and almonds. When chopped add to the butter&cinnamon mixture and set aside.
- Step 7 7. When the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and cut into two pieces.
- Step 8 8. Roll out the dough and butter on the cinnamon filling
- Step 9 9. Now gently start rolling it into a long log, while pressing it together so it sticks. Once you’ve done that, cut the logs into 24 pieces and place onto you skillet.
- Step 10 10. Place into the oven that 185 degrees and let them stay in there for 30 minutes, maybe 5 extra minutes.
- Step 11 11. Serve with your favourite beverages, coffee or tea!