When I make my recipes, I work very hard on making them my own, with small touches and adding things that I really like. So with my Apple Pie, I add lime juice because I prefer limes over lemons and add a bit more cinnamon because I really, really like cinnamon.
Yesterday we were at Dines’ parents place and they have a, actually pretty big apple tree in their back yard. So in the middle of it, I decided to go out and get some apple. Normally these are first ready in October, but this year the summer was insane, so Dines and I thought they were ready. And boy was I right! Suck it. These apples needed to be made into a pie and honestly, this was the best apple pie I’ve made. Thank you big ass apple tree for these apples.
Also included is my homemade pie crust. Honestly you can make the crust the day before.
- Pie Crust:
- 3 cups flour
- 50g of butter (put it in the freezer)
- Half a cup of water, ice cold. So put it in the freezer 10 minutes before use.
- 7 large apples
- 1 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 whole lime.
- 1 tbsp flour
- An egg for penciling.
- Step 1 1. Start with making the filling, because you want that to be in the fridge for half an hour at least. So peel the apples and cut them into slices.
- Step 2 2. In a bowl, put in the apple slices, the sugar and cinnamon, flour and add in the lime juice. Once thats added, mix it all together, you want the apple slices to be covered. Put it in the fridge.
- Step 3 3. Take the 50 g butter and cut it into small pieces, add to a bowl with the flour and start crumbling with your fingers. Stir in the water, one tbsp at a time and with a wooden spoon stir around. Once you’ve added the water, throw the dough on the floured cover table surface and start kneading it. Once kneaded, put into a bag and put that into the fridge for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Step 4 3. Enjoy a fresh beverage and don’t forget to turn on the oven to 185 degrees.
- Step 5 4. Take the dough out of the fridge and start rolling it out and place that dough into a nice pie tin. Roll out another piece for the top of the pie.
- Step 6 5. In goes the filling, making sure you cover the dough all the way around. Once you’ve done that, on goes the cover dough.
- Step 7 6. Pencil on some egg and if you feel spontantous, take some cinnamon sugar and sprinkle some on top.
- Step 8 7. Wait 45 minutes, maybe less. It actually depends on your oven.
- Step 9 8. Take it out and let it cool down a bit. Now enjoy!